Seen this message popping up at restrooms around the city? Well this is to remind us of one of the many practical ways we can save water during the very serious water crisis Cape Town and its surrounding towns is dealing with. At Stoked School of Surf, we hope that everyone who stays in the Mother City teams up to save water like a local. Whether you’re a resident or a visitor to the city, we're all in this together! So let’s get our rain dancing shoes on and get jiggy with it…or not….
The message that the City of Cape Town is sending out is that water usage PER PERSON must be reduced to 87 litres per day.
Here are some quick tips to ‘save like a local’:
- The 2 MINUTE POWER SHOWER: rinse, turn off tap, lather, rinse off as quickly as possible
- Don’t leave the tap open while you are brushing your teeth, washing your hands or face etc
- Collect water while you shower and use this water to flush the toilet/mop floors if you’re staying at a self-catering apartment/villa
- When using tap water for cleaning vegetables/dishes etc think about what items are ‘cleanest’ and wash those first so the remaining water can be used for dirtier items
- And of course: ‘If it’s yellow let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down’.
Here are some tips by the city of Cape Town on how to use 87 litres:
Wonder how to do a 2-minute shower? Virgin active shows how to power-shower:
If you come surfing with us, please don’t shower just before your lesson/guided session. Since you’ll be going into the ocean, there is no reason for you to have freshly washed skin and hair. Since the showers at the beach have been turned off, you’ll have to wait for your 2-MINUTE POWER SHOWER when you return to your lodging. Luckily, the salt water is great for your skin and hair!
We hope this has helped you understand what you can do as a visitor to our beautiful city to help prevent the taps running dry….remember that there are 4 million of us who still have to live here when you return home….
HOLIDAY SURF CAMPS
Get your kids off their screens and into the SURF!
These holiday camps are a great option for your kids and teens if they want to spend their holidays outdoors in the sea and the sun, learning to surf or improve their surfing. These surf camps offer you complete convenience as we collect your kids (from collection points in Camps Bay, City and Newlands), transfer them to the beach for their surf lesson and then return them back. We offer separate camps for kids (grade 4-7) and teens (grade 8-12). We have a strict COVID-19 safety plan in place to ensure the safety of your child and staff.
Each surf lesson is 1.5 hours long and includes:
- use of a wetsuit (if they don't have their own)
- use of a surfboard (or they can bring their own if they have one they prefer to surf)
Surf Camp drop-in rate: R370pp
Surf camp 4-lesson package: R1360pp
Next camp dates *Limited Slots available*:
Camp #1: 28th June-1st July 2021
Camp #2: 5th -8th July 2021
Camp #3: 12th-15th July 2021
Camp #1: 29th June-2nd July 2021
Camps #2: 13th-16th July 2021
Please contact us on email@example.com to book.